:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Pàgina inicial
Autor: John Crisp
A: dng
Assumptes nous: [DNG] Why neither vi nor emacs make good default start-up editors
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On 15/07/15 15:48, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 08:10:15PM +0630, Ста Деюс wrote:
>> Good time of the day, Franco.

>> I suggest instead of nano/vim -- mcedit -- the internal text editor,
>> coming w/ MC. -- I think that MC is a must for any distro -- for it is
>> comfortable to manage files/dir.s w/ it. If so, why no to use the
>> already installed editor -- moreover that it is more comfortable to
>> work w/ -- in my opinion. I think a lot of people had experience ever
>> w/ the DOS programs and its NC, VC, etc.

Gets my vote - lost without mc and the first thing I always install

> My entire problem with mc is that it's too easy to type mc when I mean
> mv and instead of moving my file it gets me into a strange mode I have
> to figure out how to get out of.

I don't believe mc is any more rocket science than vim. Just what you
are used too.

I just tried vim to see what happened. Friendly help screen and amongst
other things :

Type :help
Type :q

Is that type: 'q' or type ':q' (for the novice)

If I so much as touch a letter I can see text on the screen but then
couldn't figure out how the hell to quit because the help screen
disappears, :q doesn't quit, then the help which helpfully disappeared
doesn't come to your rescue with :help and I am then locked in a padded
cell :-)

Only took me a few minutes before I vaguely remembered to try and use
ESC :q    Ah - get the cursor at the bottom. Wish they had mentioned
that earlier......

Made me realise why I use mc/mcedit and gave up on vim - too cryptic for
me. Admittedly mc could do with a 'Use F keys' on the front page but
beyond that for most stuff.....

Clearly YMMV :-)

B. Rgds
John