:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Haines Brown
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:53:50PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 02:59:51AM +0200, Franco Lanza wrote:

> May I suggest that at this point, changes of this significance should be
> planned for the next cycle rather than thrown in at the last moment?

Yes, that makes sense. What is the "next cycle"? Alpha 1? On the other
hand, it seems that abandonment of systemd and udev is itself very
ambitious and the bugs fully worked out before tossing in an array of
secondary changes. I suppose the core target is debianites who might
want to migrate to devuan with the least change in their usual habits.

> > nano -> vim

As a nano and emacs user, the notion of having to use vim as well as
emacs seems likely to confuse. Although space less of a concern these
days, nano was always nice when you need to fit an editor into a small
device. Other than the mentioned limitation, why switch?

> > exim -> postfix

Same question here: are there significant reasons to change?

Why was the idea of dumping udev in favor of vdev etc. not
mentioned? That strikes me as a more fundamental issue and should be
tried out in next cycle.

As for desktop environment, I assume the option of having none will
remain. With all this talk of xfce, I hope those who use none will be
accommodated.