:: Re: [DNG] My experience with Devuan…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Steve Litt
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] My experience with Devuan Alpha2
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 09:24:52 +0800
Robert Storey <robert.storey@???> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Steve Litt said...
>
> > Like I said, fvwm is excellent. LXDE and Openbox are two others to
> > look at, and as far as I know they have few if any systemd
> > dependencies, direct or otherwise.
>
> I too am a fan of fvwm and LXDE. But another I recommend is IceWM.
> Only weakness is (like fvwm) it doesn't by default automount plugin
> USB devices. If that could be tweaked, IceWM would be my preferred
> default desktop.

I keep forgetting about IceWM, even though I used it happily from
probably 2003-2007. It's harder to configure than LXDE, and it's been
in danger of abandonment for a decade (which shows how overblown that
danger was).

As far as automounting, Jude has some code (I think for vdev) that can
be used for automounting at a lower level than the window manager. If
his doesn't work out, see this:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#inotifywait_m_e_createdelete_devusb

I have no idea why anyone ever thought that automounting should be done
by a program requiring X to be running.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key