:: [DNG] accessibility in devuan
Página Principal
Autor: Gregory Nowak
Para: dng
Tópicos Novos: [DNG] GNU/Linux, Libre Linux, binary blobs, choice, freedom. philosophy
Assunto: [DNG] accessibility in devuan
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking on this list for a couple of weeks, and this is my
first post here. I'd like to start by saying a big thank you to those
working hard to bring us debian jessie and beyond without
systemd. I like to keep an open mind, so after reading arguments for
and against systemd (and failing to be impressed by it), I installed jessie in a virtual machine and gave
it a chance. To make a long story short, I'm on this list, and still
running wheezy on my boxes.

I recently downloaded devuan-jessie-netboot-amd64-alpha2.iso and
wanted to give it a try. I access GNU/Linux systems using screen
reading software such as speakup for the text console, and orca in
gnome or xfce. So, when I mounted the mentioned iso, and saw spk.cfg
along with the other boot loader files, I thought good.

So, I created a guest in virtualbox (with ac97 emulated sound card), loaded in the iso, and attempted
to do an install to see how it goes. At the boot screen, I pressed s
followed by enter, but that's as far as I got. In debian squeeze and
jessie what would've happened at this point is that after waiting a
few seconds, I would have heard espeak say "select a language to be
used for the installation," but I got silence. Running OCR on the
guest's screen showed me that this is in fact what was being displayed
as far as I can tell.

I realize that the devuan boot iso is significantly smaller then a
debian jessie netinst iso, so it likely doesn't contain sound drivers,
and the espeakup/espeak packages. I also realize that this is still an
alpha release. I do not know if this is a known issue however, and
thought it would be better to mention this now while things are still
being molded so to speak, instead of mentioning it in the beta phase
when everything would be pretty much settled as far as development goes.

If this is a known issue, please let me know if there is anything I
can try to help with besides simply waiting for devuan to mature
more. If accessibility devuan was overlooked, then I'm glad I brought
this up. Thanks for reading.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net