:: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only …
Página Inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only path to alternate inits
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:06:17 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-devel@???> wrote:

> On 18/06/2015 16:15, Steve Litt wrote:
> > I was envisioning Devuan people making the defs and runscripts, not
> > the authors of the init systems. It would be crazy for us to think
> > you, or someone in your position, would write AND MAINTAIN between
> > 30 and 200 run scripts. That's crazy. What wouldn't be crazy would
> > be for two or three Devuan people to write and maintain a fleet of
> > s6 run scripts.
>
> But my point is that it's crazy no matter who does it! Devuan people
> aren't superhuman. How do you expect to give every script the
> attention it requires and deserves if you're maintaining 200 of them?
> If I, an upstreamer, make a small change to a daemon's interface,
> the change has to be reflected in the service scripts; if I make one
> such change a month, it's definitely manageable for you, packager, as
> long as I'm the only one doing it - but if every upstreamer you have
> is doing the same thing, you'll go bonkers in no time.

You could make a million changes a day, but unless the changes were to
the program's interface as seen from the command prompt, no init action
is needed.

If I were the run script maintainer and a project started making
*interface* changes once a month or even twice a year, I'd code my run
script to throw up a screen saying "sorry, project xxxxx changes too
much, get the run script from the upstream." With the possible
exception of dbus, I don't see many interface changes over the years.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key