:: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only …
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Laurent Bercot
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only path to alternate inits
On 18/06/2015 16:15, Steve Litt wrote:
> I was envisioning Devuan people making the defs and runscripts, not the
> authors of the init systems. It would be crazy for us to think you, or
> someone in your position, would write AND MAINTAIN between 30 and 200
> run scripts. That's crazy. What wouldn't be crazy would be for two or
> three Devuan people to write and maintain a fleet of s6 run scripts.

But my point is that it's crazy no matter who does it! Devuan people
aren't superhuman. How do you expect to give every script the attention
it requires and deserves if you're maintaining 200 of them?
If I, an upstreamer, make a small change to a daemon's interface, the
change has to be reflected in the service scripts; if I make one such
change a month, it's definitely manageable for you, packager, as long as
I'm the only one doing it - but if every upstreamer you have is doing the
same thing, you'll go bonkers in no time.

You were complaining about the difficulty of managing the VimOutliner
package; well, if the package maintainer was responsible for a hundred
other upstreamers, it's really no wonder. And you're suggesting that
two or three poor Devuan maintainers take up a fleet of s6 - or other -
scripts in one unique package, while making sure things are kept clean
and simple and don't become as overloaded as Debian init scripts did?
In one year they'll flip tables and go raise goats in Africa in order to
never have to touch a computer again.

--
Laurent