:: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only …
Página Inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: Laurent Bercot
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only path to alternate inits
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 05:06:17PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> On 18/06/2015 16:15, Steve Litt wrote:
> >I was envisioning Devuan people making the defs and runscripts, not the
> >authors of the init systems. It would be crazy for us to think you, or
> >someone in your position, would write AND MAINTAIN between 30 and 200
> >run scripts. That's crazy. What wouldn't be crazy would be for two or
> >three Devuan people to write and maintain a fleet of s6 run scripts.
>
> But my point is that it's crazy no matter who does it! Devuan people
> aren't superhuman. How do you expect to give every script the attention
> it requires and deserves if you're maintaining 200 of them?
> If I, an upstreamer, make a small change to a daemon's interface, the
> change has to be reflected in the service scripts; if I make one such
> change a month, it's definitely manageable for you, packager, as long as
> I'm the only one doing it - but if every upstreamer you have is doing the
> same thing, you'll go bonkers in no time.
>
> You were complaining about the difficulty of managing the VimOutliner
> package; well, if the package maintainer was responsible for a hundred
> other upstreamers, it's really no wonder. And you're suggesting that
> two or three poor Devuan maintainers take up a fleet of s6 - or other -
> scripts in one unique package, while making sure things are kept clean
> and simple and don't become as overloaded as Debian init scripts did?
> In one year they'll flip tables and go raise goats in Africa in order to
> never have to touch a computer again.

+1

I agree that maintaining all the init scripts in a single package is
not just crazy but practically impossible. A quick:

enzo@kaa:~$ apt-file -x search /etc/init.d/ | wc -l
1201
enzo@kaa:~$

should clarify any remaining doubt....

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]