:: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only …
Página Inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only path to alternate inits
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:06:00 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-devel@???> wrote:

> I think the original point was to spread the maintenance burden. If
> you gather all the service definitions for one service manager in one
> package, then you centralize the maintenance burden - who will want
> to be responsible for that package ? Even as the author of s6, with a
> strong desire to have s6 be widely used in a mainstream distribution,
> I am *not* going to write and maintain s6-compatible service
> definitions for every daemon under the sun - this is crazy work. On
> the other hand, if every daemon has its service definition for
> whatever service manager in a separate package, it all becomes much
> more manageable.

I was envisioning Devuan people making the defs and runscripts, not the
authors of the init systems. It would be crazy for us to think you, or
someone in your position, would write AND MAINTAIN between 30 and 200
run scripts. That's crazy. What wouldn't be crazy would be for two or
three Devuan people to write and maintain a fleet of s6 run scripts.

Truth be told, I was envisioning *myself* as one of those people.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key