:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Gummiboot patch
Top Pagina
Auteur: Riccardo Boninsegna
Aan: Steve Litt, dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Gummiboot patch
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> My question is whether you or anyone else is willing to
> completely fork this software.
> To be dependable, this source code needs to be preserved, under a
> different name, and maintained completely separately from the thing
> called "Gummiboot".

What's very questionable is my ability to dedicate time to this
project in future (even though in my experience Debian's version was
already perfect stability-wise, so updates won't likely have any
urgence).

But I've spent this evening rebuilding it from Debian's version, with
a key difference from yesterday's IRC release: annoyed by a bootloader
requiring D-bus, I completely removed machine-id support from
gummiboot, making it the world's lightest bootloader dependency-wise
(compared against Lilo, Grub2, and Syslinux).
As a result of this the folder structure in the EFI partition was
changed, but in my tests it was proven fully backwards compatible...

It's also now a separate package name which prevents regular versions
of gummiboot (and my previous release) from installing!

As for preservation, this is all my knowledge recommended me... :)
https://github.com/rboninsegna/gummiboot-nomachineid/releases/tag/v48-100