:: Re: [Dng] Hal and Vdev
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Daniel Reurich
À: JeremyBekka C, James Powell
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Hal and Vdev
On 16/06/15 14:20, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 16/06/15 12:18, JeremyBekka C wrote:
>> Hi Jeremy,
>>
>>     I have a question about the deprecated program hal. We like to
>>     stream videos from Amazon.com but we need hal installed in order to
>>     make it work. The Hal Debian wiki says that it is being deprecated
>>     and it is being replaced by udev (https://wiki.debian.org/hal).
>>     Since vdev is being written to replace udev, are there any plans to
>>     incorperate hal's functions into vdev or keep maintaining it
>>     seperaratly?

>> Do you know what specific functions of hal you need? Hal's
>> functionality got split between udisks/udisks2, upower, and udev some
>> time ago. Things like device plug state, device properties, and device
>> capabilities are now tracked by udev (in /run/udev) and accessed by
>> libudev, for example. My goal for vdev is to be compatible with udev,
>> so if you can use udev today, you should be able to use vdev when it's
>> ready.
>>
> From what I remember it's flashplayer, and it uses hal to build or get
> a GUID based on hardware ID's (ethernet macs, and other h/w identifiers)
> which is required for the digital rights management to be able to lock
> the content to that particular combination thus preventing MitMing the
> content for aka Piracy...

From what I remember there was a bit of code spinning around called
fake-hal that basically pretended to fake the data, but I never got it
to work personally. It should be easy enough to recreate a working hal
that uses the current facilities to present the data that flashplayer
needs and make flashplugin-nonfree depend on it.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.