:: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 08:42:53 +0200
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> On 15/06/15 02:41, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 00:36:34 +0200
> > Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:
> >

> >> There is one thing that annoys me due to epoch only has a singe
> >> configuration file. I think you have done a lot more research on
> >> epoch so perhaps you could answer this. Is there any mechanism to
> >> automatically manage applications that we want to start/stop at
> >> boot/shutdown time on epoch, which is similar to update-rc.d script
> >> for sysvinit?
> > I've never seen update-rc.d, but if you're asking me if I can write
> > a separate program that takes a list of services, each with their
> > "provides" and their list of "requires", into the numbers you need
> > for ordering those service, absolutely I can write that program.
> > You and Subsentient just need to give me the specification of the
> > format of the service/provides/requires{,requires{,requires{...}}},
> > and I can write the program that turns that into numbers.
> >
> >> At the moment, it looks to me that if I installed ntpd for
> >> instance, I have to manually edit epoch.conf and add ntpd ObjectID.
> > Yes. You should go onto Freenode's #epoch and talk to Subsentient. I
> > believe that one of his design manifesto principles is that you edit
> > this stuff, no GUI. But I'm pretty sure that as of a couple versions
> > ago, Epoch can deal with multiple config files.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/key
>
> Hello Steve,
>
> I am not actually looking for GUI interface to manage epoch
> configuration, but more like the functionality of update-rc.d script
> (http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?sektion=8&query=update-rc.d&apropos=0&manpath=sid&locale=en).

Yes. From what I read in the preceding link, update-rc.d simply
activates or deactivates daemon startup. Yes, I can make a program to
do that with Epoch. That program would be *absolutely trivial* to make
for any daemontools-inspired inits.

> I am not a hard core UNIX/Linux admin, but I think such script is
> distro specific, In Debian and its derivative distros, update-rc.d
> script is part of sysvinit package. So it should be understandable
> that the upstream sysvinit, upstart or epoch do not provide such
> script, as it should be provided by the init package of the distro.
> This means that I have to learn much more than I previously thought :)

I just want to make sure you understand that Epoch is much, much,
*much* simpler than sysvinit. Whereas sysvinit has those funky comments
telling what their symlink should be, with Epoch, all you do is mark
each service either ObjectEnabled=true or ObjectEnabled=false. It's
probably easier to change that with an editor than with a program. But
yes, I could write a program, even a CLI program, to enable you to
change the ObjectEnabled value.