:: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
Top Pagina
Auteur: Anto
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request

On 14/06/15 23:19, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:39:51 +0200
> Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:
>

>> On 14/06/15 21:43, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> That's easy. Copy as root with execute permissions the Epoch
>>> executable to /e. Then, when you want to run Epoch, you just put
>>> init=/e in your grub kernel line. When you want to boot sysvinit,
>>> you just boot business as usual.
>> Yes. We could do that. But that would not involve cleaning up the
>> files as the dpkg does when we switch back and forth from epoch to
>> sysvinit or vise versa.
> It wouldn't have to involve cleaning up files. Epoch and sysvinit have
> no files in common, they're two completely separate train tracks. For
> experimentation's purposes, you can have them both installed and
> determine which one by the Grub Kernel line.
>
> Later, when your objective isn't A/B comparison experimentation but
> makgin an Epoch package, *then* you could worry about cleanup, and
> switch them by installing one and deinstalling the other.
>
> Personally I think both packages should allow the other one to sit on
> the disk. Except for both using /sbin/init, these two inits are
> orthogonal. You could even make a Grub menu item that boots
> to /sbin/epoch, so it's a Grub choice.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

Thanks Steve,

Yes. I agree that for experimental purpose we can have both inits.

However, my objective is not to play around with it but to use it on my
PC. For this purpose, in my opinion there must be only one init
installed on the PC. So the epoch package must behave the same as for
instance sysvinit and upstart (systemd is definitely not in this
category), where sysvinit replaces upstart and vise versa when we
install any one of them. I have been reading how sysvinit and upstart
are being packaged. I think I will try to replicate that for epoch.

There is one thing that annoys me due to epoch only has a singe
configuration file. I think you have done a lot more research on epoch
so perhaps you could answer this. Is there any mechanism to
automatically manage applications that we want to start/stop at
boot/shutdown time on epoch, which is similar to update-rc.d script for
sysvinit?

At the moment, it looks to me that if I installed ntpd for instance, I
have to manually edit epoch.conf and add ntpd ObjectID.

Cheers,

Anto