:: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:39:51 +0200
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> On 14/06/15 21:43, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:18:48 +0200
> > Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> >> And the second one
> >> is I would like to be able to easily switch back and forth between
> >> epoch and sysvinit for testing purpose, so that I know exactly what
> >> will happen if I did that on my main PC.
> > That's easy. Copy as root with execute permissions the Epoch
> > executable to /e. Then, when you want to run Epoch, you just put
> > init=/e in your grub kernel line. When you want to boot sysvinit,
> > you just boot business as usual.
>
> Yes. We could do that. But that would not involve cleaning up the
> files as the dpkg does when we switch back and forth from epoch to
> sysvinit or vise versa.

It wouldn't have to involve cleaning up files. Epoch and sysvinit have
no files in common, they're two completely separate train tracks. For
experimentation's purposes, you can have them both installed and
determine which one by the Grub Kernel line.

Later, when your objective isn't A/B comparison experimentation but
makgin an Epoch package, *then* you could worry about cleanup, and
switch them by installing one and deinstalling the other.

Personally I think both packages should allow the other one to sit on
the disk. Except for both using /sbin/init, these two inits are
orthogonal. You could even make a Grub menu item that boots
to /sbin/epoch, so it's a Grub choice.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key