著者: Stephanie Daugherty
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
題目: Re: [Dng] printing (was Re: Readiness notification)
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@???>
wrote:

> This is an exact analogy of saying "I believe seatbelts are evil,
> because car crashes should not happen."
>
> Shouldn't, but do. Besides that, some drivers are incompetant. Just
> like some daemon authors are incompetant. Saying incompetent daemons
> shouldn't exist on Linux is exactly the same as saying incompetent
> drivers shouldn't exist on the highway. They shouldn't, but they always
> will.

This is a false analogy, a software crash is an inconvenience, an
automobile crash is a life-threatening event - the two are not directly
comparable. By your analogy, the car would automatically restart its
engines, re-enable its cruise control, and get into another crash as rescue
workers were still trying to help the victims!

Given that a large portion of the crashes result from a security
vulnerability, a daemon potentially does more damage by coming back up
without the administrator's knowledge and consent. I'm not opposed to
having the functionality to restart processes automatically, but I am
opposed to having it be part of the init process to be there by default.
The administrator should have to go out of their way to set a system up to
restart daemons automatically.