:: [Dng] Suckless Init on Plop documen…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: [Dng] Suckless Init on Plop document
Hi all,

Obviously, this isn't a recommendation of something to go into Devuan.
I've written a document on installing Suckless Init on Plop Linux. It's
a solid learning tool, nothing more, nothing less.

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/suckless_init_on_plop.htm

A little more detail...

The setup described in this document has Suckless Init doing the PID1
duties:

* Launch (fork) daemontools-encore to perform all process management
* Hang around and listen for signals
* On receipt of SIGUSR1 or SIGINT, completely shut down by
running /bin/rc.shutdown reboot or /bin/rc.shutdown poweroff
respectively.

That's all Suckless Init does. After all, it's only 89 lines of easily
understandable C.

Daemontools-encore handles all process management. Because
daemontools-encore has no simple native way to perform ordered startup
of the processes, the document shows how to use LittKit to help
daemontools-encore accomplish that.

From my research to date, this is by far the simplest, most
understandable, and most modular full-fledged init setup I've seen.

** NOTE: Full-Fledged is arguable, but you know what I mean **

The purpose of this document isn't to replace sysvinit on Devuan,
either by package or by individual user initiative. That would be
silly: Use runit, S6 or Epoch if you don't like sysvinit. The purpose of
this document is to make init transparent, and convey the complete set
of concepts and vocabulary of init systems, so any init system that's
really an init system can be discussed intelligently and easily
installed and managed.

I those of you who read it enjoy it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key