Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] printing (was Re: Readiness notification)
Am Sonntag, 14. Juni 2015 schrieb Laurent Bercot:
> On 14/06/2015 15:29, Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > And I thought the historic solution would be to give your web printing service an id higher than cups, eg.:
> >
> > /etc/rc*/S04cups
> > /etc/rc*/S99awsomewebprinter
> >
> > Together with the nightmare from unix museum (aka fork when ready) it simply works.
>
> No, it doesn't.
> The S04cups script will start cups, spawn the process, but exit before the
> service is ready; your sysv-rc mechanism will only see S04cups die, think
> it's okay, and start S99awsomewebprinter. There is a race condition and
> the web printing service may be started too early.
> Unless cups implements readiness notification, and S04cups waits for this
> notification before returning. Then S99awsomewebprinter will only be
> started once the cups service is *actually* running.
>
> It's not a theoretical problem. It's a very real one. Some daemons take
> ages to get ready after they've been started, their needed prep work is
> longer than it takes for a shell script to exit and another one to be
> spawned, and the race condition is real.
>
> Again, depending on your needs, you may not have experienced it, or you may
> not care. That's fine. But it's still there.

Hm, that's not the point. The S04cups you takt about does "fork befor ready", not "fork after ready". If it's implemented as "fork befor ready", then it's most likely a bug, 'cause that's the whole point of the order of the startup scripts. "fork before ready" would be equal to "start all startup scripts in parallel" - which does not work.

Nik

Mag. Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
Einnehmerstraße 14
A-4810 Gmunden