:: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 09:57:12 +0200
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> On 13/06/15 23:35, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > The maintainer of epoch has just asked for feature requests.
> >
> > http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/06/13/198222/ask-slashdot-feature-requests-for-epoch-init-system-130
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> I always want to try epoch init system since I read Steve's howto
> about it on
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#pure_epoch_init_system
> a couple months back. But so far I can not find any Debian build
> script for that. It is indeed a simple program with just a few files
> but I am not really sure what to put into the debian directory.

I can answer that :-)

When installing Epoch, do it entirely extra-distro. Do not use the
package manager for anything. Don't remove the current init system,
just jumper around it by backing up the existing /sbin/init, and then
replacing it by what got built during Epoch make (obviously renaming
it /sbin/init).

Epoch is in no package manager that I know of, and therefore is
installed by compile. It comes with buildepoch.sh, which, for me, did
the job simply by running it with no arguments or modifications.

> I tried to use dh_make but of course it just gives me basic files in
> the debian directory. I am basically still not familiar with every
> detail to make the files in debian directory from scratch. I am not
> sure for instance, what value I should use for $CFLAGS, $LDFLAGS and
> $CC on debian/rules and how the *.prerm, *.postrm, *.preinst,
> *.postinst and *.install files should look like. And I am also not
> sure about the rules to build the copyright, manpage, README.source
> and README.debian.

Plain vanilla gcc works just fine compiling Epoch. Just
run ./buildepoch.sh as a normal user. Then copy
compile_directory/built/sbin/epoch to /sbin, owner root, group root,
executable by all. You might also cp -p /sbin/epoch to /e , so that in
Grub it's trivial to put init=/e in the line when you want to boot
Epoch. In that way, you don't have to boot to a System Rescue CD, and
copy either the Epoch or sysvinit to /sbin/init, in order to toggle
your init system.

> So I would really appreciate if anyone could point
> me to the proper Debian build script that somebody has made even that
> would be for older versions of epoch init system.

No Debian build script exists. Epoch knows nothing about Debian (or any
other distro), and Debian (or any other distro) knows nothing about
Epoch. Just use Epoch's buildepoch.sh, copy, chown and chmod the
resulting build/sbin/epoch, and that's it.

By the way, it would be about 10 times easier to do this on Devuan,
because you wouldn't have to decontaminate dbus and lots of other
software. Systemd adds a lot of cancer-roots you need to remove in
order to alternatively init. Try it on a VM, see how it goes.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key