:: Re: [Dng] printing (was Re: Readine…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] printing (was Re: Readiness notification)
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 15:59:17 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>      Here comes the remark of Katolaz: "so what?".

>      What happens then? Does the webprinting service crash? Or does
> it hang until Cups is ready? Is it able to detect that it is hanging?
> The last would probably be the most sensible way to handle the
> dependency :-) A professional webprinting service should be able to
> do that. And this is what Cups itself does when a printer is paused.

>      Didier

I know what Katolaz meant though. At what point does the cost of error
free operation exceed the cost of recognizing an error and fixing it?
That's a legitimate question.

There are times when I deliberately fail to protect from a theoretical
crash, postponing such protection until I see if the crash ever
happens. Of course, I'm not operating a computer that operates a
nuclear power plant or an Xray machine.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key