:: Re: [Dng] Cups (was printing (was R…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Anciens-sujets: Re: [Dng] printing (was Re: Readiness notification)
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Cups (was printing (was Reasyness...))
Le 14/06/2015 13:39, LM a écrit :
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> I think that Brother is one of the companies that advertises actual
>> Unix support, and that my printer an HL-3170CDW, at least, accepts a
>> variety of networked protocols, including some that originated in Unix.
>> But I don't know how to access them without CUPS.
>>
>> There must be a way.
> I've had a lot of problems with getting hardware working properly with
> Linux, so when I bought my last printer, I tried to do some research
> on what printers had support for Linux. As mentioned, Brother
> advertises support. So, I ended up buying my first (and probably
> last) Brother printer. Besides the fact that the model seems to have
> an issue with the ink and stops printing often, I found out that the
> drivers are proprietary. There are rpm and deb versions of the driver
> (in binary format) and I've seen some information on how to get them
> to work with systems like Slackware that need tarballs. However, if
> you're running with a different processor or using a different C
> library like uclibc (which I was at one point) or musl, you're going
> to have issues. The way I've seen FreeBSD users get Brother printers
> running is to run Linux versions of printing software using their
> Linux compatibility layer.
>
> Postscript printers seem like the best option. Similar to DOS
> systems, you can copy a binary file to lpt, serial, etc.
> Unfortunately, many printers these days are not Postscript compatible.
> PCL seems like the most supported format after Postscript. That's
> where programs like GhostPCL come in. A lot of printers support the
> wingdi format which is based on Windows GDI (graphic device interface)
> API. I've only seen a few projects that try to support that on Linux.
>
> Cups may be a great solution for a corporation or a situation where
> printers are networked. I think it can be overkill for a single user
> with a dedicated printer. As mentioned, Cups does work on BSD and
> Apple systems so the systemd dependency should not be a real issue.
> It seems to be used as the default printing option on most Linux
> systems I've looked at. It would be really nice to have some viable
> alternatives for users who don't need all the features Cups can
> provide. I like the idea of trying to avoid monopolies in
> libraries/programs. Cups seems to be a monopoly on most systems at
> this point. David mentioned he just put up a wiki. Maybe we can
> start a page and list some alternatives there. It would be really
> great to see information on printing, audio, init/startup
> libraries/utilities and other basic systems documented somewhere in
> more detail. Information is typically scattered all over the Internet
> and some of it is so dated it's no longer relevant. If a user knows
> what's available and the pros and cons, he/she can make more informed
> choices and possibly even create something to fill in a gap.
>
> GhostPCL isn't in the Debian archives and I believe the reason might
> [...]

     Even at home, it is pretty seldom nowadays to have only one
computer. Thereforea print server is really convenient, particularly
if you can configure your laptop forroaming. Cups makes it possible.
The only issue is the configuration which is so messythat even
distros are unable to do it properly, in particular MacIntosh.

     I remember in my lab, a few years ago, seeing the same printers
with various namesacross one or more macbooks, until I figured out
how to configure my laptop.

     Cups pretends to do too many thing, including using a computer
to hop betweensubnetworks to reach printers otherwise unreachable.
If you use a desktop in aLAN where there is a server, then just
install the cups client and give it the addressof the server. But
the client cannot be used for roaming because it accepts only one
server.

     The only way to configure your laptop to print across several
possible servers(eg, one at home and one at work) is to install
the cups server, because this one isalso a client able to access
many other servers. But here comes the mess with theconfiguration
and here's where a howto would be needed because you must
absolutely disable it acting as a server andalso give it an
exact list of servers to browse instead of "every available server".

     Didier