:: [Dng] Devuan and sneaker-net
Top Pagina
Auteur: LM
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: [Dng] Devuan and sneaker-net
I started with Debian Squeeze on my desktop computer (since it was one
of the few Linux distributions that would work with my hardware) and
when it came time to update to Wheezy I did so by sneaker-net. I'd
heard that Debian Jessie was out but I just didn't get around to
trying to update my system again and from what I've been reading about
the switch to systemd, I'm glad I didn't. I had been considering
switching to file-rc or runit or busybox's init program (something
less complex than sysvinit) not something more complex like systemd.
I would like to try my sneaker-net process with Devuan instead of
Debian and hope it will work in a similar fashion.

I download all my dependencies by sneaker-net and check them over
before installing. I want to know exactly what's on my system. I'd
probably be running a distribution like Slackware right now where the
user handles the dependencies rather than the package manager, except
that there were some hardware installation issues with getting it
working with my desktop.

I hope Devuan will be as friendly to people who use sneaker-net for
installation as Debian has been in the past.

My documentation on the techniques I use to sneaker-net and control
what is installed on my system is at:
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/snet.htm

Hope the Devuan project is successful in providing an alternative to
Debian that supplies applications that truly attempt to do one task
well.

I'm a C/C++ developer and I've also done documentation for a number of
Open Source projects. I have several ports/modified versions of
lightweight program alternatives. One of my goals is to eventually
have a working desktop system that runs in framebuffer using mainly
sdl, fltk and pdcurses/ncurses based applications. If I can help the
project out with programming and/or documentation, I would certainly
be interested in doing so.