:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Joel Roth
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 01:13:51AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> From a legal point of view, I would also carefully refrain from
> redistributing any non-free firmware in Devuan, the main reason being
> that usually you *don't* have the right to redistribute it, and even
> if you have got this right from the HW constructor, such right can be
> withdrawn any moment at their own will, which might be a quite
> unpleasent surprise for Devuan...

Hi KatolaZ and others,

Since many other Linux distributions include firmware
without any special agreement, I think there is a reasonable
precedent for including such files, although certainly this
could be more thoroughly researched.

If, for considerations regarding free software, Devuan
releases *two* boot disk images, I would suggest they
be named something like DevuanWorksBetter.iso and DevuanMayWork.iso
so that people will know what to expect.

In which case, for manpower reasons, Devuan may opt to
release only the WorksBetter version, and develop MayWork in
response to future user demand or legal requirement.

IMO, the decision will ultimately rest on those actually doing
the work.

Regards,

Joel