:: [Dng] Puppy Linux, Devuan Puppy & h…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Apollia
To: dng
Betreff: [Dng] Puppy Linux, Devuan Puppy & hardware - Re: straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
I already posted a little about Puppy Linux in the past - but, it seems
appropriate and particularly on topic to mention it again now, because, at
least from my not-very-technical perspective, one of Puppy Linux's
strengths appears to be compatibility with a wide variety of hardware,
usually without requiring the users to fiddle with settings much or at all.

With Puppy, the most elaborate thing I ever had to do to make some hardware
work was compile and install a driver for a USB wireless internet adapter.

(Oh, and then there were the things I was only able to figure out how to
use with a Windows XP VirtualBox rather than natively in Linux - a scanner
and an HPNA internet adapter.)

Puppy (at least the Puppies I tried) unfortunately doesn't tell you if it's
using anything non-free, nor give you the option to exclude those non-free
things.

But, other than that, it has usually been close to ideal for me. I haven't
tried it with an incredibly wide variety of hardware, but it has usually
worked fine with most things I tried, even some rather surprising things,
like old Macs. :-)

Maybe Puppy has some hardware-related scripts or something which Devuan
could use or modify?

I don't know many details, but there is apparently already Devuan support
in woof-CE, the community edition of the software used to build Puppy
Linuxes.

This page is from last April:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/528

I don't know if anyone has yet released a Devuan-based Puppy ISO. But, if
I understand correctly, woof-CE is the software anyone can now use to build
such an ISO.

Maybe stuff from that could be used in Devuan itself?

As for how Puppy deals with legal issues related to distributing non-free
firmware - I haven't been able to find many details so far just from
searching the web.

But, on the blog of Barry Kauler (creator of Puppy Linux), there's a post