:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 16:54:54 +0200
Stephan Seitz <stse+devuan@???> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 10:55:37AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> >    I think one could always make the following argument: I have
> > paid
> >for a device which cannot work without the firmware; therefore what
> >I paid for is a set which includes hardware and firmware. Sorry but
> >when

> I am not sure if this argument works. You have paid for a device with
> drivers for the operating systems this vendor supports. I don’t think
> you have any rights to claim the firmware or technical specifications
> to develop drivers for other operating systems.
>
> >I buy a car, it is a package which includes the key; otherwise I
> >wouldn't buy it.
>
> But the vendor gives you the car and the key. And you can only use
> the car on the roads the vendor has build the car for (at least if
> you want the car to survive some years ;-) like the computer vendor
> can tell you under which operating systems his device will work.

None of the preceding arguments change the fact that if installing
Dng appears to be a poorly documented 40 step manual process, the
person will throw Dng in the trash and use Ubuntu or Windows. Also,
people who enjoy 40 step manual processes already have a wonderful
distro: Arch :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key