:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: KatolaZ
À: Anto
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 05:35:32PM +0200, Anto wrote:

[cut]

> Hello KatolaZ,
>
> Since Devuan is clearly a fork of Debian, does it have to respect
> Debian policy and follow what Debian does?
>
> I don't think the approach suggested in this thread will make Devuan
> the same as Ubuntu. The approach is basically just to ease up the
> net-install process for the users if I am not wrong.

Anto, I was not the one bringing (erroneously) in the discussion the
"default" policy unsed by Debian about firmware to support his point
:) I was just pointing out a fact which is in striking contrast with
was somebody *believed* was the default in Debian, maybe confusing it
for the default in some other distro...

Maybe I am the only one unable to see the problem in asking the owner
of hardware which requires some essential non-free firmware during
installation to put the required firmware on a USB stick during the
first boot. If the user has got a way to burn a net-install cd, then
he almost surely has no problem into plugging a USB stick on that
other computer and copying one file therein....

>From a legal point of view, I would also carefully refrain from

redistributing any non-free firmware in Devuan, the main reason being
that usually you *don't* have the right to redistribute it, and even
if you have got this right from the HW constructor, such right can be
withdrawn any moment at their own will, which might be a quite
unpleasent surprise for Devuan...

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]