:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Anto
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers

On 04/06/15 17:08, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 10:42:49AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
>> But Debian does allow the installation of nonfree drivers. And, if I
>> recall correctly last time I installed (a long, long time ago), it did
>> ask the question.
>>
>> We want the reputation of rejecting monolithic blocks of horrible code
>> when that is practical, and in the case of systemd, we want to show
>> that it is practical, and even beneficial.
>>
>> We don't want to give the impression that without systemd, video card
>> performance is the pits.
>>
> This is the standard policy in Debian, AFAIK:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmware_during_the_installation
>
> The debian installer does *not* provide non-free firmware but allows
> the user to provide it in a separete medium (e.g.,a USB stick) and the
> installer will ask during installation if the user wants to use that
> firmware.
>
> There is a *separate* netinst CD which includes non-free firmware for
> network adapters, and no more. It is made available, but it is *not*
> the default netinst, and marked as *unofficial*.
>
> I honestly don't mind about a journalist complaining about the fact
> that Devuan does not supply third-party non-free drivers for his video
> card, because a substantial majority of the distributions, including
> also Debian, do the same (i.e., they do *not* provide non-free drivers
> upon installation).
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

Hello KatolaZ,

Since Devuan is clearly a fork of Debian, does it have to respect Debian
policy and follow what Debian does?

I don't think the approach suggested in this thread will make Devuan the
same as Ubuntu. The approach is basically just to ease up the
net-install process for the users if I am not wrong.

Cheers,

Anto