:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Clarke Sideroad
Dátum:
Címzett: dng@lists.dyne.org
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On 06/04/2015 10:09 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 09:51:36AM -0400, Clarke Sideroad wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
>> With all the effort that has gone into this so far it deserves to be
>> a major distro and it would appear to this guy watching from the
>> fringe that the necessary brain power is here, but without a
>> noticeably sized user base it will be seen through the eyes of
>> blogger/journalist filtered history as the few weirdos who couldn't
>> face the "future of computing".
>>
>> Do not forget the bigger picture.
> Debian has been a major distro for almost 20 years now, is the largest
> homogeneous package base in the free software arena, has inspired
> literally thousands of other distributions, and has never installed
> non-free stuff by default, or recommended the usage of third-party
> proprietary video drivers, or promoted the installation of non-free
> firmware...
>
> I just don't see the problem in continuing along this path. This is
> not what will kill Devuan, by any means.
>
> My2Cents

The computer world that Ian Murdock introduced Debian to is a whole lot
different than we now face.
I started playing with Red Hat Linux 19 years ago and with Debian 16
years ago with a 486, so I do a reasonable idea of how things have
changed along the way.

Up until very recently I have been a long term committed Debian user
despite trying alternatives regularly, how much of that is due to the
"devil I know" it is hard to say, but I'm sure it is a factor in my case
and probably a lot of others.
The big question id how would Debian fare as brand new distribution today?
That is really where Devuan sits, it is a fork of Debian, _it is not
Debian_.

The success of Devuan is in the public interest, a good portion of the
public need to be able to use it.

My thoughts, I got rid of cents, so now they are worth nothing or a Nickel.

Clarke