:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Daniel Reurich
A: James Powell, Jude Nelson
Cc: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
Hi Jim,

On 04/06/15 14:34, James Powell wrote:
> I agree that there should be a scan ran to inform the system user that
> binary firmware is needed at boot, but likewise, if the system needs it,
> it should be an offered option at installation time also, just not
> offered by default as enabled. The user must at least select the option
> to install firmware such as this for example:
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [ ] Install optional kernel binary firmware - Kernel firmware is used
> by some modern devices to supplement EEPROMs and other mask roms
> normally included either with the driver internally, or on the device
> itself.
>
> Package (optional) : linux-kernel-firmware-nonfree-<insert git pull
> date>-noarch-.deb
>
> Notes:
>
> Selecting this option will not install any traditional non-free software
> packages (I.E. Adobe Flashplayer) on your system. This package is meant
> to only supplement the Linux kernel and it's drivers. Nothing else. Due
> to the fact certain kernel drivers lack this firmware internally and on
> chip, this package may be needed to gain full functionality of hardware
> such as VGA, Audio, SCSI, Networking, and other devices.
>
> If you were presented with a warning at boot that firmware needed to be
> loaded for your device(s), select and install this package, otherwise it
> is safe to continue without it.

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was more thinking about scan of the hardware, and providing a report
of all of the hardware requiring non-free firmware to be loaded.
Potentially we would only need to pull in the specific firmware files
required to make that work.

Anyway the firmware-linux-nonfree package is a meta package that refers
to all the non-free firmware packages and that includes a big bunch of
stuff we won't want, like audio and video-card firmware. (We could
allow for it to be selected later in task-select though). Our soul
purpose is to only deal with firmware required for the installation
process to complete - ie network cards for network installs etc.)

> Just a passing thought. As shown, the option is disabled by default, has
> documentational notes, and is counted as an optional kernel package, not
> actual software.

Providing good information will server to educate the user is essential
to helping them understanding why the question is put and what the
implications are either way.

> Good idea? Bad idea? Needs work? The cat ate the mouse? The dish ran
> away with the spoon?
>
> -Jim

Definitely dish ran away with the spoon :D

PS, best way to feed into this project is to raise an issue in our
gitlab: https://git.devuan.org/d-i/firmware-reqd

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.