:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Top Pagina
Auteur: James Powell
Aan: Adam Borowski, dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
Firmware is part of the kernel in a sense because it is loaded by the kernel at boot. It only interacts with the kernel and the kernel modules to provide any missing functionality, like a header file does, except rather than C code, it's prebuilt binary language code.

It is not technically software because it doesn't act through an API, shell interpreter, user interface, or execution medium.

Big difference.

Sent from my Windows Phone