Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 13:25:42 -0300
hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:

> On 06/03/2015 12:06 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> >
> > IMO, network hardware that needs a non-free blob is the most glaring
> > issue
> >
> *** Yes, indeed, many computers come with broken hardware that won't
> work without installing proprietary software. I think this case is
> the single case that should be exemplary: the official Devuan network
> installer should not, IMO, support this case. It is not against
> users, but against manufacturers. We all know what the workaround
> is: build an installer with the required firmware. Well, I think
> that work should be supported by manufacturers, not by the community.

That's nice, but with over 90% of the manufacturers' business coming
from Windows, we're not going to boycott them into submission. What we
will do by not supporting such hardware is cause Linux people or
would-be Linux people, who spent hundreds of dollars on their hardware,
to abandon Devuan, and possibly abandon Linux. Giving us even less
clout over manufacturers in the future. Driving people right into the
hands of Microsoft, Apple and Red Haottering.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key