:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: James Powell
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 05:24:30AM -0700, James Powell wrote:

[cut]

> Should it be default added, no, but offered for choice? Absolutely.

But how far this should/will go? After having offered the possibility
of bringing in non-free firmware during the installation, shall devuan
also offer to install non-free drivers for your video card? And what
about flash plugins then, or Skype? The "end user" might want to
choose them, so should we offer her/him to install them?

This was indeed the Ubuntu-way of dealing with non-free software, and
I personally don't like it at all. I would rather prefer having a
clear, neat and discernable separation between what is free software
and what is not, as in Debian, and to have by default only free
software available, with non-free stuff in a separate repo which
requires separate and explicit setup to work.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]