:: Re: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from com…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from commands
Le 31/05/2015 22:34, Laurent Bercot a écrit :
> On 31/05/2015 18:35, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> AFAIU, this thread has turned to be about interfacing whatever app to
>> a scripting language. I consider this a very usefull feature for all
>> but basic applications. In particular, I consider that interfacing
>> init - The init program which is pid 1 - with a scripting language
>> would provide ultimate "init freedom".
>
> init is the pinnacle of a "basic application". It's not even an
> application, it's a system program. There is NO reason why you'd want
> to interface init to a scripting language - what are you trying to
> accomplish that can't be accomplished outside of process 1 ?
>
> "init freedom", whatever that means, is a political goal, and has to be
> reached with political tools. Trying to use technical tools to reach a
> political goal is not a good idea; it usually produces bad software and
> ends up being unsatisfying for everyone.

     Laurent,

     I know the argument that init should be kept small to be
rock-solid. Does it mean that it must be written in C and not in Lua or Ash?

     Anyway Sysvinit is not so small, invokes a great deal of shell
scripts to do the job, and leaves service supervision to the admin.

     Please take it easy. I'm not saying this would be the fastest or
the most secure of all init programs. But it would be a base for
experimentation and hacking and I think it would be pretty educative.

     Didier