:: Re: [Dng] automounting in a window …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] automounting in a window manager
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 07:57:47AM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> With all the recent discussion about DEs (Cinnamon, Gnome, Mate, etc), I
> just thought I'd throw this in here...
>
> For the longest time, I simply used a window manager. In the beginning, it
> was FVWM, but later I took a liking to IceWM. As opposed to a full-blown
> Desktop Environment, I liked the speed and simplicity of a window manager.
>
> The only drawback is that window manager doesn't seem to do automounting of
> plugged-in devices. I went looking for a solution, and found this page:
>
> https://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Automounting
>
> It says, among other things, that udev can be configured to handle
> automounting. That's nice, but since systemd has polluted udev beyond
> repair, I'm wondering if Devuan can be set up to handle it better, perhaps
> with vdev. Or is there a better way?

On Debian, I've had trouble with automounting mounting USB sticks as
the wrong user when several users are logged in simultaneously. This
can happpen with a display manager.

On my laptop recently, with testing/Jessie, automounting has stopped
being usable. First it changed so that USB sticks ended up mounted as
root, so the user could not write to them. I'd have to
unmound them as root and mount them again as a user.

Then mounting became impossible as a user.... Currently I
can only mount USB ssticks as root.

Along the way I have dumped KDE and gnome, and more recently have
removed systemd. It's possible this has contributed to these
problems, since jessie depends on systemd more than they liks to admit,
and I no longer know whether the current mount problems antedate the
removal.

I do hope devuan can do a better job on this. Though don't expect
this to be perfect in the first release. I certainly don't want devuan
to be held up whiel all this is prefected.

-- hendrik