:: Re: [Dng] vdev status update (May 2…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Anto
A: Jude Nelson
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] vdev status update (May 25 2015)

On 27/05/15 19:06, Jude Nelson wrote:
> Hi Anto,
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Anto <aryanto@???
> <mailto:aryanto@chello.at>> wrote:
>

>     On 25/05/15 18:29, Jude Nelson wrote:

>         Hey everyone,

>         I have the latest news for vdev:

>     .
>     <snip>
>     .

>         Thoughts and feedback to the above welcome :)
>         -Jude

>     Thanks a lot Jude for all your efforts.

>     Since you put a big fat warning "**CURRENTLY BROKEN.  DO NOT
>     ATTEMPT.  WE ARE MIGRATING TO .DEB PACKAGES.**" on
>     https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/how-to-test.md#appendix-b-booting-with-vdevd
>     about 13 days ago, I have been waiting for your update on the deb
>     build package script so I can continue testing. How far are we on
>     that? Please do not assume that I am pushing you.

>     If that would be quite far due to higher priorities on other parts
>     of vdev development, how about if you included test cases for any
>     parts of vdev that still need testing?

>     For instance, a simple list like below would help novice testers
>     like me (and hopefully help speeding up vdev development as it
>     looks getting more complex):

>     1. Test Case A Title
>         Test Unit: vdev function X
>         Expected Result: <list of expected output or expected logs
>     when the test pass>
>         Test Result: Pass or Fail
>         Test Log: <logs either when the test pass or fail>

>     2. Test Case B Title
>         Test Unit: vdev function B
>         Expected Result: <list of expected output or expected logs
>     when the test pass>
>         Test Result: Pass or Fail
>         Test Log: <logs either when the test pass or fail>

>     And so on.

>     I think that will also help you shifting your priorities in
>     putting your efforts on each parts of vdev development.

>     Cheers,

>     Anto

> What you're asking for is a black-box test suite. In most software
> systems, this is highly desirable, and is usually added into the CI so
> the CI can verify that all tests pass before generating a package.
>
> Unfortunately, systems like udev and vdev are exceptions--their
> "expected results" are tightly-coupled to the underlying hardware.
> There's no way to categorically describe the expected results without
> also describing all the relevant aspects of the underlying hardware as
> well, and there are as many different hardware configurations as there
> are users (so each user has a different expected result). The best I
> can do is verify that vdev produces a /dev that has the same files
> that udev would have created on the same hardware.
>
> I'm still figuring out the packaging. My goal is to add Makefile
> targets to use fpm to generate packages (for testing and cross-distro
> compatibility), and then worry about adding the Devuan-specific
> [...]

Hello Jude,

Thanks for your explanation that the type tests that I mentioned has
actually a name in software engineering. I know quite little about this
field :)

I just thought it is logical to some how use structural approach so that
would be easier for you (as the only developer) to distribute your
efforts. And I think at this stage, you can decide a single hardware and
test setup to focus on, so that you could avoid over predicting what the
users might expect which could be millions of combinations.

Well... I am sure you know better about that. I am just looking for
possibilities to be able to help you more.

Cheers,

Anto