:: Re: [Dng] The more things change, t…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] The more things change, the more they remain the same
Le 27/05/2015 15:32, Laurent Bercot a écrit :
> On a development machine, it is
> easy to always get the newest, shiniest tool, and quickly make a project
> work using that tool. But dependencies are a cost, a cost that is mostly
> hidden to developers, and also mostly hidden to users with a lot of hard
> drive space who just let their distribution manage everything for them -
> but that is very visible to users who actually build the software or want
> to tinker with it in some way.

     I am slowly trying to assemble a minimal Linux development
environment and the number of tools you need to just compile a C program
is unbelievable. Clearly, the majority of developpers don't care about
simplicity.

     Recently, to compile vdev, I had to build libuuid from the source.
libuuid is part of util-linux. As usual, there is no Makefile, so that
you cannot build libuuid alone. To generate the Makefiles, you must run
configure, which invokes autotools which are written in Perl. But, for
some obscure reason, you also need Python! And util-linux's configure is
not happy with the way Python is installed in Debian Wheezy. It doesn't
tell it clearly, of course; it just throws inconsistent messages.

     libuuid is a library, compiled from a C source; it should be the
simplest thing to build. But, in fact, you need to learn some basics of
Python's file hierarchy and tweak it. Or, maybe, build as root. And, of
course, your development environment must have not only gcc and make,
but also Perl, m4, and autotools. In some cases, you also need curses,
cursesw or yet another assembler more clever than as, or gnulib which is
yet another fancy probably meant to make Gnu software unforkable.

     Didier