:: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from command…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Vecchi argomenti: Re: [Dng] The more things change, the more they remain the same
Oggetto: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from commands (was: Re: The more things change, the more they remain the same
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 03:32:00PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:

> As a rule of thumb, developers should always use the smallest possible
> amount of dependencies for a project, and clearly separate layers - e.g.
> if a project comes with an engine and a GUI, then the engine should come
> as a command-line tool in its own package with no dependencies on graphical
> stuff, which would be the role of the GUI package. But I'm a dinosaur AND
> a fan of minimalism, so I don't expect many people to think like me.

I mean this as a serious question, not as a piece of sarcasm,
though it could easily be misconstrued as such.

I am testing the limits of the advice to separate interaction from
command line, though. Sometimes limit testing leads to discoveries.

I'm in the process of writing (yet) a(nother) editor and output formatter,
and on reading this, I started to wonder -- just how could one separate
a command-line version from the UI? I can see that the output
formatter can be so separated (and very usefully), but the actual
editing?

Brainstorming welcome.

-- hendrik