:: Re: [Dng] Everyone's favorite DE: G…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Steve Litt
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] Everyone's favorite DE: GNOME3
On Mon, 25 May 2015 12:41:25 -0400
Jaret Cantu <jaret@???> wrote:

> On 05/25/2015 11:43 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Offering a no-systemd Gnome is fine with me, even though I'll be
> > sticking with Openbox.
> I was on Fluxbox to avoid systemd (which actually renders my machine
> un-init-able because it can't do what "mount -a" can). You can still
> get a systemd-free desktop from Debian proper with *box and other
> DE's that Redhat has no interest in (I guess is the reason?).

I won't speculate on Redhat's motivations :-)

Although no-systemd, no-dbus is certainly an attraction of Openbox, I
also actually prefer the way it interfaces with my fingers, once I
incorporate dmenu, put a 6pixel margin along the left side, and put in
my own custom hotkeys. Openbox plus dmenu is a productivity fountain.

For those who want the same productivity fountain with a more typical
panel and menu button interface, LXDE and its successor LXQt surround
Openbox with a small footprint "desktop environment", and if you make
the same changes to LXDE's Openbox core that you would with standalone
Openbox, LXDE becomes just as keyboard productive as Openbox.

It's so nice to be able to take a single component, like your graphical
user interface, and swap it out for one that you like better. I hope
Linux always supports this capability.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2015 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz