Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed up Devuan development

On 17/05/15 05:28, Jaret Cantu wrote:
> Just pushed eudev to the Devuan git.
>
> https://git.devuan.org/jaretcantu/eudev
>
> I used eudev version 1.9 since it is based on systemd 215. That is
> the udev/systemd version used by Jessie, so it just seemed to make a
> lot more sense.
>
> I'm using it right now (and I'm pretty sure I've committed all of the
> manual changes I had to make on account of whoopsies), and the only
> difference I see in before-and-after "ls -Rl /dev"s is two extra pts.
>
> I uploaded all of the git-buildpackage stuff, too, so it should be
> easy to recreate.
>
> Probably some systemd scraps that I didn't properly scrub. I was not
> terribly diligent with checking for all of the unnecessary dependencies.
>
> I think you need a kernel with FHANDLE, too, for eudev to work
> properly. I got error messages until I recompiled my kernel.
>

> As a side note, this effort makes my rage meter fill up even faster
> against systemd. Just looking at all that source and all those
> patches for systemd functionality -- and so few left over for udev.
> udev was such a simple little project, and systemd had to come along
> and ruin everyone's fun. In what world is bloat considered good and
> KISS a bad thing?
>

> Cheers,
> Jaret Cantu

Thanks a lot Jaret,

Finally, there is an experience programmer who is willing to spare the
time to develop eudev package for Devuan (actually for Debian, but I
prefer to refer to Devuan instead). I really appreciate this.

However, it is still no go for me. Perhaps I took harder route so there
could be some dependencies that have not been met which make the build
package fails at very early stage.

The followings are what I have done so far.

1. I am using the minimal install of Debian wheezy with
linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
    All packages required by eudev are from Debian wheezy, except the
ones below
2. Install libcryptsetup4 and libcryptsetup-dev from Debian wheezy-backports
    The version of libcryptsetup-dev on Debian wheezy is 2:1.4.3-4 but
eudev requires libcryptsetup-dev (>= 2:1.6.0)
3. Get kmod 18-3 source package from Debian jessie, re-compile and
install it on Debian wheezy
    The version of libkmod-dev on Debian wheezy is 9-3 but eudev
requires libkmod-dev (>= 15)
4. Install linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
linux-headers-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 from Debian wheezy-backports
    This also pulled some necessary packages and upgrade initramfs-tools
5. Reboot to use linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
6. Build eudev package and what I got is shown below

anto@d945gclf:~/packages/devuan-eudev-1.9$ uname -a
Linux d945gclf 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1~bpo70+1 (2015-04-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux
anto@d945gclf:~/packages/devuan-eudev-1.9$
anto@d945gclf:~/packages/devuan-eudev-1.9$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
dpkg-buildpackage: source package eudev
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 215:1.9-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Jaret Jay Cantu <jaret@???>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpkg-source --before-build devuan-eudev-1.9
dpkg-source: info: applying build-sys-don-t-move-libgudev-to-lib.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying
libudev-fix-symbol-version-for-udev_queue_flush-and-.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying
udev-hwdb-Support-shipping-pre-compiled-database-in-.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying
rules-Fix-by-path-of-mmc-RPMB-partitions-and-don-t-b.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying
Add-note-to-udev.conf-that-changes-to-that-file-requ.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying Load-sg-module-from-80-drivers.rules.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying Updates-to-default-device-permissions.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying
Set-default-polling-interval-on-removable-devices-as.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying more-cd-aliases.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying
Always-install-non-arch-specific-files-in-lib-udev.patch
fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean --with autoreconf,gir,python3 --parallel
dh: unable to load addon python3: Can't locate
Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python3.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 20) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 20) line 2.

make: *** [clean] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
status 2
anto@d945gclf:~/packages/devuan-eudev-1.9$

It looks like that I missed some required packages, but I have no clue
what would that be. Could you please let me know which package should I add?

Or do you think I did something wrong? If so, could you please let me
know which part would that be?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Anto