Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed up Devuan development
> Hello T.J.,
>
> I didn't mean to express anything related to "put up or shut up".

Actually, I am someone who would pat you on the back if you did. Talk is cheap, and quite frankly, I when dealing with Linux fans I often hear a lot of talk and see very little. I feel you handled it with respect, and so no offense was ever suggested nor taken by myself. Just because we happen to disagree does not mean you gave offense.

I have a decent regard for Jude's project. I may not always agree with people, but Jude putting his ideas to the test, and I say good for him.

>Unfortunately, I am not a programmer
> otherwise I would volunteer myself to maintain packages for Devuan.

Devuan needs more than programmers. There are documentation writers, graphic designers, public relations, even just fans. I know coders get a lot of the spotlight, but without others Devuan isn't going to go anywhere either.

> In regards to udev, I cannot find any Debian style udev package source that is
> being maintained outside systemd source tree so far, a part from the one in
> Debian wheezy which is quite old.

Why would you? Wheezy is the last release without systemd, and since Jessie uses systemd by default, they have no reason to maintain a separate source package. You think that they would for the sake of users who do not want systemd, right? The moment I heard that Ian Jackson's general resolution had failed, I suspected that for all "real world" or practical purposes it had the effect of Debian saying that you can use systemd-shim in Jesse, but that it will be nothing but a pacifier to silence future opposition until systemd becomes mandatory in Debian. No one actually said that aloud, but I consider it the end result.

>That tells me that it is not worth the effort
> to maintain it outside systemd source tree. But if you knew anything about
> that, please do share that with us.

I don't claim to know anything that you do not. That is basically what Eudev is. A version of udev forked by Gentoo after udev became maintained inside of systemd's source code.

> Perhaps somebody who has the skill could
> take that and add it into Devuan package source.

I would presume that Devuan has that well in hand. They would have to address it before release.