:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update …
Página Inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
Para: Steve Litt
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assunto: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update (2015-05-03)
Hi Steve,

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@???>
wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 2015 23:24:42 -0400
> Jude Nelson <judecn@???> wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I have the latest news for vdev:
> >
> > * vdev now creates symlinks for:
> > -- /dev/v4l/by-path
> > -- /dev/disk/by-partuuid
> > -- /dev/disk/by-partlabel
>
> Thank you Jude. It's astounding what you've been able to accomplish.

Thanks! Fortunately, it's not as bad as it looks--it's mostly a matter of
reading the udev rules files and writing a script that does the same thing
:)

> > * the initramfs hook conditionally pulls in iproute2, lvm, dmsetup,
> > blkid, etc.
>
> I can think of few things more brain taxing than writing a program to
> tweak a RAM filesystem and accompanying init script that will be used
> on the *next* boot. Troubleshooting and experimentation must be a slow
> process, with boots intervening. Even on a VM on a fast host.

Yeah, it can get pretty tedious. Fortunately, I'm using a minimal QEMU
image, so reboots happen pretty fast (i.e. the working set fits entirely in
my disk cache).

I have developed a new-found appreciation for the people who designed
Debian's initramfs system. Despite the tediousness of building cpio
images, Debian's initramfs-tools package is surprisingly flexible and
well-documented. There are a couple little things it could make the
process less painful, though; I'm in the process of getting together some
patches to send to Debian, if they're interested.

> > [For Next Time]
> >
> > * The next immediate objective is to package vdevd for Devuan, to
> > make it easier to test (in particular, easier to get a working
> > initramfs).
>
> Could you please make sure that there's a way for us Qemu users to use
> it? I don't know whether I'm the only one, but Vagrant errors out on my
> Debian Wheezy machine. So I'm still using the Valentine edition.

Absolutely! I intend to make the first iteration of packages available as
direct downloads (will post hashes to the ML), and will continue to do so
until I can figure out how to hook the vdev repository into Devuan's CI
system.

Thanks,
Jude