:: Re: [Dng] Suckless init and friends
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Didier Kryn
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] Suckless init and friends
Le 08/05/2015 20:28, Steve Litt a écrit :
> This email isn't a recommendation for the Devuan distribution, it's
> just some interesting info for the more DIY members of the Devuan
> community.

     Dear Steve,

     I think Devuan, being about freedom of choice and autonomy of
admin, has something to do with DIY. And for this reason you can find
some fans of it here :-)

> The init program does initialization with no process management. It
> passes control to rc.whatever. In that respect, it doesn't conform to
> Laurent's minimum of supervising at least one process, but rc.whatever
> can exec to something that manages all processes, so you have only that
> one tiny process at risk.

     Do you know what that program is doing? And what of it cannot be
done by a script?

     For me, the ideal DIY init is a script. I think the shell languages
are just missing a high quality signal handling for scripts to be
eligible as init. Adding the primitives to use the Linux signalfd in a
shell language is maybe the only missing bit to reach that graal.

     Didier