:: Re: [Dng] Which source version fo s…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: James Powell
Dátum:
Címzett: Luke Diamand, Jude Nelson
CC: dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] Which source version fo systemd are you stripping code from?
Practically every part of systemd has been modularized or supplemented out. Some of which aren't needed at all.

systemd-init - uselessd cloned the entire init and service supervisor. Other init programs of a similar nature include sysvinit/sinit+perp/runit/s6/daemontools-encore, runit (standalone), monit, and several other advanced init systems. In part, systemd-init was unnecessary to begin with.

systemd-udev - eudev already segregated the entire udev part. vdev aims to replace it entirely. mdev replaces it in part but lacks the automated rule handler relying on kernel hotplugging instead.

systemd-logind - loginkit and consolekit2 work together to replace logind in part and in whole minus a few specific functions.

systemd-journald - was unneeded and completely unnecessary. Work was already done by sysklogd, rsyslog, and syslog-ng.

systemd-networkd - was unneeded and unnecessary. Netplug, NetworkManager, inetd, xinetd, dhcpcd, and dhcp(client) to name a few already did the same work. Netplug is possibly the lightest weight of them all and provides connectivity device management as well as net connectivity service.

Yes there are others but really what do they do new that isn't done already?

To be truthful, the only real contribution systemd has offered has been logind which was nothing more than an advanced ConsoleKit client for DBus. That contribution has been miniscule and really unwarranted because all it is doing is doing things the wrong way by creating a huge monolithic project outside the scope of it's own parameters that has very little quality control and no real purpose other than creating another Busybox and monolithic hypervisor.

Not to say it as something negative, but if Lennart and the Cabal had any real talent, they would focus their talents to improving existing systems rather than reinventing a wheel just for the sake of reinventing it to forcibly deprecate software and create a huge schism within GNU/Linux that has done more harm than good not just to GNU/Linux, but UNIX on the whole.

-Jim