:: Re: [Dng] Please stop vain discussi…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Nextime
Dátum:
Címzett: Laurent Bercot, dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] Please stop vain discussion
On May 6, 2015 8:33:31 PM CEST, Laurent Bercot <ska-devel@???> wrote:
>On 06/05/2015 19:49, Anto wrote:
>> When I started this thread, I genuinely asked technical question
>> related to what I am doing in removing systemd's files from Debian
>> sources of some packages. I am quite sure that I didn't propose or
>> demand that to be implemented in Devuan. I am doing that all solely
>> for myself.
>>
>> But I have to admit that I got emotionally pulled into the discussion
>> about the plan to include systemd into Devuan. Yes, I am quite sure
>> that has been proposed in this thread. That really caught me by
>> surprised.
>
> If anything, the explosion of this thread shows that people can be
>very passionate about getting rid of systemd, and this is kind of
>heartwarming.
>
> From what I read, devuaners seem divided between the "Devuan is meant
>to be Debian without systemd, there's no reason to support systemd
>and it would be too much work" crowd, and the "Devuan is about
>freedom, that's why we split from Debian, and freedom to use systemd
>is a part of it" crowd.
>
> Both positions are valid and I didn't see any flames. For a n+1th
>Internet discussion about systemd, this one actually wasn't half bad.
>Noisy, but civil and not completely sterile.
>
> What I'd like to take away from this is a clear statement about the
>position of Devuan's leaders (is that what people call a VUA ? I'm
>confused by the term, because I'd like to be able to say I'm a veteran
>unix admin without implying I'm a part of the Devuan initiative.)
> Is Devuan's official position "We will not support systemd - if you
>want it, use Debian", or is it "We will support systemd because Devuan
>is about your freedom of choice, even if your choices suck" ?
>
> My own position is that nobody in their sane mind will want to use
>Devuan + systemd (it's exactly what Debian is), so any work to support
>it would be totally wasted. But hey, the ones who do the work are the
>ones who are right.
>
>--
> Laurent

The official position is: we will support anything that can be packaged without hijacking the whole system to be installed. Actually systemd doesn't match this requirement, so, devuan will not support it as long it doesn't radically change. Anyway we will not intentionally obstacle anyone that eventually want to use it outside officia devuan release.
--
nextime