:: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jaret Cantu
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed up Devuan development
On 05/05/2015 03:02 PM, Anto wrote:
> On 05/05/15 19:50, Peter Maloney wrote:
>> Try eudev, which is a drop in replacement for udev on openrc systems,
>> and I think it was forked from udev before systemd got it.
>>
>> https://github.com/gentoo/eudev
>> or maybe this
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/eudev/
>>

> Thanks Peter,
>
> I heard about it but I have never had a chance to try it as it has
> never been in Debian repository as far as I remember. I will have a
> look and search around on that now.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anto

eudev was forked *after* udev got got by systemd. The first code commit
(Fork of Original Code Base: anongit.freedesktop.org/systemd,
2944f347d087ff24ec808e4b70fe104a772a97a0) was based on 195, which is
after The Systemding: 182 was udev, 184 was systemd, and I don't see a
tag for 183. Huh, must be like a 13th floor.

The eudev README even calls it a fork of systemd.

eudev continues to pull in relevant udev changes from the systemd tree
(without the init-specific filth, obviously) and even provides some
fixes of its own. It is like a window into some magical world where udev
development continues under the old banner. Well, a similar banner that
is one character wider, at least.

Gentoo (or rather, Gentoo users) started eudev so that OpenRC could
continue using udevd (although it does work just fine with any init
system), so Gentoo is probably the most official place to go for it.
The github site is listed as eudev's homepage, but there is also:

https://wwwold.gentoo.org/proj/en/eudev/

which I had thought contained some links to history/reasoning, and a
source repository:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/eudev/

3.0? Wow, I'm really behind.

The only difference I've really noticed with the last version of udev
before being cannibalized and eudev is that eudev doesn't build against
some old (pre-3.0) kernel headers. That's really only an issue for
crufty embedded targets, not desktops, tho'.

Cheers,

Jerry

PS: Bonus round!
Version 183 was apparently the merge point of systemd and udev, at which
point systemd took udev's versioning scheme but not its credibility.
-at which point systemd took udev's versioning scheme but NOT... ITS...
FREEDOOOOOOM!
-at which point systemd took udev's versioning scheme, like a married
name. No hyphenated versions here! I only mention this because I have it
on good authority (read: internet rubbish) that we are all terribly
anti-women.