Til: dng
Emne: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed up Devuan development
Hello Everybody,

As I mentioned on
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150504.064731.04c39de7.en.html,
in my Devuan installation via debootstrap, I had to include
init-system-helpers in order to complete the installation. After the
installation, I purged init-system-helpers but that forced me to remove
cron, logrotate, openssh-server, rsyslog, and ssh packages.

After I had a look on the source of those 5 packages, I actually just
need to re-compile cron, openssh and rsyslog. The logrotate was removed
as it depends on cron and it does not seem to be "infected", so I didn't
compile it.

I did a "very dirty" method to manually strip anything related to
systemd that I could find on debian directory under those source
packages' directory. I could successfully compile and install them as below:

root@d945gclf:~# dpkg -l | egrep "cron|openssh| ssh |logrotate|rsyslog"
ii  cron 3.0pl1-127-devuan                amd64        process
scheduling daemon
ii  logrotate 3.8.7-1+b1                       amd64        Log rotation
utility
ii  openssh-client 1:6.7p1-5-devuan                 amd64        secure
shell (SSH) client, for secure access to remote machines
ii  openssh-server 1:6.7p1-5-devuan                 amd64        secure
shell (SSH) server, for secure access from remote machines
ii  openssh-sftp-server 1:6.7p1-5-devuan                 amd64
secure shell (SSH) sftp server module, for SFTP access from remote machines
ii  rsyslog 8.4.2-1-devuan                   amd64        reliable
system and kernel logging daemon
ii  ssh 1:6.7p1-5-devuan                 all          secure shell
client and server (metapackage)
root@d945gclf:~#

They look to be running alright.

If you are interested to know what I did, please find the changes on
cron, openssh and rsyslog packages that I have made on
https://minifora.eu/public/devuan/patches/cron_rsyslog_openssh_patches_04May15.tar.gz.

This encourages me to keep striping other packages. Perhaps it would be
better if I could contribute to Devuan development instead of doing that
for myself. But as I mentioned on other threads, I don't have any
experience at all in Debian packaging so I don't actually know the rules
related to that. If someone could suggest me what to do to get more
involved in Devuan development, or perhaps to be my mentor, I would
really appreciate that.

Cheers,

Anto