:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates
Inizio della pagina
Autore: marcxdv
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates
> On 30/04/2015 22:35, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> >exactly this PATH issue is what I expect and appreciate here: I do NOT
> >expect
> >command autocompletion of normal user to get confused by command names that
> >are not supposed to even be in user's PATH
>
> 0700 for root-only binaries would hide them from your shell's
> autocompletion.

Which would be lots of stat() system calls. Which is probably fine
on a horribly overspecced PC, but not so great on a phone or watch
or smart-dust or whatever the next big thing is going to be.

Also on paranoid systems /sbin and /usr/sbin can itself be made 0700 or
0750, so that random users can't even work out what admin commands might
be there (hide suid exploits)

Or /sbin can be deleted/omitted entirely on containers/virtual images
where all admin has been done already.

So there are very good reasons for keeping the classic/standard layout.
I am going continue following up this in another one of your emails -
a number of assertions you make should not go unchallenged

regards

marc