:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates
Góra strony
Autor: Didier Kryn
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates

Le 29/04/2015 22:34, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:47:27AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>> I'm under the impression you can do most or all of what needs to be
>> done in the actual init, rather than the initramfs. This gets a little
>> complicated now that Linux has been "improved" by having /sbin
>> and /bin be symlinks to /usr/bin, which might not be mounted in early
>> boot, but aside from that, I think once you have possession of /bin
>> and /sbin, then assuming that /etc is not a mountpoint, I think most
>> other stuff can be delayed til the real init, always assuming that it's
>> easier to put stuff in the on-disk init than in initramfs.
> Is that Linux that has been "improved" by turning /sbin and /bin into
> symlinks? Or is it Debian? Or the systemd collection of distros?
>
> -- hendrik

     Here's the story I read about /usr, and it sounds like the truth:

     When people built the first Unix machine, the first disk,
containing /bin went full but they needed to add more files to /bin .
They decided to put them on the second disk which contained user data
and was therefore mounted at /usr. Hence /usr/bin. It was a technical
workaround for disk-size limitation.

     Nowadays some distros got rid of /usr but still make it a symlink
to / because of softwares that rely on it. If Debian is now doing sort
of the opposite, it must be some trick. I've nothing against; as long as
you keep /usr, use it at your will; it's all about convenience tricks.

     Didier