:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 18:13:04 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 29/04/2015 16:47, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > maybe then we could eliminate the initramfs step entirely.:-)
>
>      Sure that would be nice. It's something you can do for each
> machine, but is not practical for a distro intended for all. Some
> drivers, notably disk, raid, lvm, are necessary to mount your root
> partition, and these drivers are so many, to match all possible
> hardware configs, that they would bloat the kernel if they were built
> "in kernel".

I think I see what you're saying. If I hear you correctly, you're saying
that if you're using lvm, disk encryption, or raid, you can't even
mount the root partition without adding the drivers (with modprobe, I
assume), before the root partition is even mounted. And of course, to
do that, you'd have to have a functioning /dev tree.

Makes sense. Back when I used to go without initrd/initramfs, I used
ordinary ext? partitions and had all necessary commands and drivers on
the root filesystem. That would probably still work if I meet those two
conditions, but it's not a general solution.

Did I understand what you were saying?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2015 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28