Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates

Le 29/04/2015 16:47, Steve Litt a écrit :
> maybe then we could eliminate the initramfs step entirely.:-)

     Sure that would be nice. It's something you can do for each
machine, but is not practical for a distro intended for all. Some
drivers, notably disk, raid, lvm, are necessary to mount your root
partition, and these drivers are so many, to match all possible hardware
configs, that they would bloat the kernel if they were built "in
kernel". Instead they are built as loadable modules, so that only the
drivers needed for the booting machine are finaly loaded. This implies a
first step of initialization in which the modules can be read from
/lib/modules. The alternative, for a distro would be to build all
existing drivers in the kernel. This is my understanding, at least :-)