:: Re: [Dng] Newbie questions re insta…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Steve Litt
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] Newbie questions re installing a devuan image
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:34:53 +0200
Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@???> wrote:

> On 04/28/2015 12:07 AM, Dragan FOSS wrote:
> > On 04/27/15 11:37 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> >> OpenRC edition was astounding.
> >

> looks great :) (I am currently using Manjaro-openrc)
>
> Do you have any instructions on setting it up in English? I tried
> looking and only found serbian.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#12232014_pure_runit_init_proof_of_concept

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#pure_epoch_init_system

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#getting_epoch_running

Peter, I'm not necessarily saying that either runit or Epoch on Manjaro
performs better than sysvinit + OpenRC. sysvinit+OpenRC does a good
job, and if you want to have some later processes run respawn, you can
always have OpenRC launch daemontools or daemontools-encore to manage
processes you want respawned.

My motivation in learning to install the runit and Epoch init systems,
with no help from the distro or the packaging system, is that sometimes
good distros go bad, and I never again want to go through what I went
through 7/2015-11/2015.

Or, to put it another way:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/images/hidty.png

And beyond those two things, sometimes, for troubleshooting purposes,
it's nice to test two different inits and exploit the differences.
Also, if one init goes bad, you can always boot the machine with the
other one.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2015 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28