:: Re: [Dng] Fwd: [dng] vdev status up…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Anto
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Jude Nelson
Kopio: dng@lists.dyne.org
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Fwd: [dng] vdev status update
On 19/04/15 05:56, Jude Nelson wrote:
> Hi Anto,
>
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Anto <aryanto@???
> <mailto:aryanto@chello.at>> wrote:
>

>     Hello Jude,

>     Sorry for keep sending emails instead of sending them at once. I
>     just thought it will be good to have comparison of the logs with
>     the successful boot using udev. Please have a look on same set of
>     the logs with udev on
>     https://minifora.eu/public/devuan/vdev/udev_initramfs_debug_logs.tar.gz.

> No worries :) I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to look at this today
> (I've been out of town all day). I'm going to try again tomorrow.
>
> Would it be easier for you if I just went ahead and created an amd64
> deb for vdev? I would have to make it conflict with udev for now(*)
> since it would need to prevent udev from running, but it seems like
> this is acceptable for your current test machine.
>
> Thanks,
> Jude
>
> (*) The tentative plan for the future would be to let you install
> any/all device managers and pick the one that gets started at
> boot-time via the alternatives system.

Hello Jude,

I am confused now about your comment that we can "install any/all device
managers and pick one that gets started at boot-time via the
alternatives system".

I initially thought that vdev requires udev or any other device managers
to work. But since you added the command to disable udev on
https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/INSTALL.md, I followed that
and I got the impression that vdev will replace udev.

However, either any of those has no affect at the moment as vdev's init
still fails to mount the root file system, so it does not touch
/sbin/init yet.

Yes. Perhaps it is better to start with vdev for amd64 first. I think
that would speed up differentiating Devuan from Debian, so that will not
be only for me. Probably not for the initial release of Devuan, but
later on after vdev is stable.

In regards to the deb package of vdev, I have to test it on a real test
PC to be safe, instead of on my "current test machine" which is the PC
that I am using for writing this email.

Cheers,

Anto